Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sprue Cutters Union: New Techniques for a New Year?

I’m not the only one to reappear in the blogosphere in 2015; the Sprue Cutters Union has returned as well. This weeks question is: What new products/techniques will you purchase/attempt this year?

Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black 



I’m a big fan of Mr. Surfacer 1200 as a primer, but Mr. Knights has raved about this product. It is supposed to have an even finer grain, and I keep hearing how black is a good base coat for metallic finishes. I guess we’ll see, as I’m using the Mr. Finishing Surfacer as a primer on the Airfix Mustang.

Mr. Color Super Metallics 




I’ve never really gotten along with Alcald, preferring Mr. Color 8 Silver or Tamiya spray cans for my natural metal finishes. However, I’ve seen good results from these paints. I have a few to try and may break them out on the Mustang.

 AK Interactive True Metal 




This is an odd one. It sure looks like Rub’n’Buff with an inflated “modelers” price tag, but the manufacturer claims you can mask over it. Guess I’ll get a tube or two and try it out.

P.S.:  I'm no prude, but WTF is up with the figures on page 6 of the PDF?  Almost makes me want to avoid supporting the manufacturer.  I don't need to be manipulated to try your product.  (This is what happens once you have a daughter.)

Part of being in the Union means you must include links to fellow contributor's posts within your own response. So here are a few posts from some of the other members:

The Combat Workshop takes on Vallejo.
Doog wants to modulate his black.
The Museum Modeling wants to try more armor.
Jeroen is fighting monochromaticity.
Kermit wants to try modulation.
Motorsport Modeller wants to try Extra Thin.
Shutterace is seeing ghosts.
The Eternal Wargamer needs to paint faster.
Scale Model Soup hopes to jig.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black is, hands down, the best primer/preshader I've ever used. The only problem is finding a reliable supply of the stuff. I picked up two bottles at my LHS last time it was in stock, but that was nearly a year ago. Next time I find it I'm probably buying five. :-p

Matt Tauber said...

Glad to see you back on the blog, Jim!